Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dirt and Sun

I'm kind of tired and have some other things to do, so I'm going to make this short, but I'll put some pictures up later of the day's events. We went all around the land of Benjamin today. I didn't know all of the history that happened in the land. We started out by taking some of the passes and roads along the ridges that were commonly traversed in the Old Testament. There were numerous battles fought along these passes and ridges, including the one where Joshua had the Amorites in pursuit, in which God sent hailstones upon the Amorites and Joshua asked for the sun to be stopped.

I think the sun was still stopped today, because it was a long day and the sun beat down on us in relentless fashion. Later, we went out to the Judean wilderness, where it was quite barren and very hot. But it was still a good time. We went to a few places of interest, such as the pass between Michmash and Geba in which Jonathan and his armor bearer climbed up and launched a suprise attack on the Philistines. We finished off the day by going to Jericho. We saw the lower parts of the stone walls which were excavated (because it seems that only the clay upper walls collapsed, forming a ramp for Joshua and the Israelites to enter the city). The site was also littered with ancient pottery shards, which I helped myself to.

Anyway, I'm beat. I'll make a more in-depth post later with some bonus photos.

No comments: